World Gin Day is a celebrate one of the nation’s most popular tipple, Gin. It’s a global celebration of all things gin, and is a legitimate excuse to drink some gin, either in a cocktail, with tonic or neat.
There are usually a lot of events being held at bars, pubs and other venues across the country as well as some gin promotions. The day was started in 2009 by blogger Neil Houston, known as YetAnotherGin, and was all about bringing his friends together.
Blogger Emma Stokes, known as Gin Monkey, took over in 2013 and has been pushing the celebrations ever since. People from all over the world can get involved on social media by using the #WorldGinDay hashtag.
We’ve put together some tasty gin recipes that you can enjoy on the day, or even all year round.
Lakes Rhubarb & Rosehip Pink Lady Cocktail
Slightly fruity from a few dashes of grenadine and blossoming with the herbal botanicals of tangy Rhubarb & Rosehip Gin, you can’t go wrong with the blushing Lakes Rhubarb & Rosehip Pink Lady cocktail.
- 50ml Rhubarb & Rosehip Gin Liqueur
- 20ml Lemon Juice
- 10ml Grenadine
- 25ml Cloudy Apple Juice
- 15ml Egg White (Optional)
- Add all ingredients to a shaker and dry shake without ice.
- Add ice to shaker and re-shake.
- Single Strain into an Ice filled glass and garnish with an apple disc.
Raspberry Gin Fizz Cocktail by Ren Behan
This refreshing cocktail will quench your thirst buds, and will even make a perfect summer drink.
- 100g fresh raspberries (plus 6 more for serving)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup or 60ml water
- 2 drops Rose spice drops®®
- 2 drops Mint Spice Drops®
- 50ml gin (or double for a stronger cocktail)
- 400ml tonic water
- Place the raspberries in a clean bowl and crush or mash with the back of a spoon.
- Pass the crushed raspberries through a sieve (into a jug or a cocktail shaker) and push all the pulp through with the back of a spoon. Discard the pips.
- Add the sugar and water and the Spice Drops®. Mix together well. Add the gin, 2 ice cubes and shake or mix together well.
- Top with tonic water, stir and pour the cocktail into two glasses. Serve with 3 fresh raspberries in each glass.
Blueberry and Basil G&T
For those who want to be adventurous with their Gin drinks over the day, this take on the classic G&T is sure to leave you wanting more.
- 4 oz gin
- 12 oz tonic
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 16 blueberries muddled + a few more for garnish
- 8 medium basil leaves
- 6 lemon slices
- Blueberry and Lemon flavoured bursting bubbles for Gin
- Blue Pearl Shimmer for Gin with blueberry flavour
- Chill the drinking glasses for a 15 – 30 minutes.
- Add ice to two glasses along with whole blueberries, lemon slices, basil and Popaball Blueberry and lemon flavoured bubbles for gin.
- Put 16 blueberries into a cocktail shaker with lemon juice and gin and muddle until combined, strain mixture into glasses until ¼ full and top up with tonic.
- Slowly sprinkle 1/3rd tsp of drink shimmer in, watch your drink bubble up, then stir and watch it clear to reveal a blue pearl shimmer.
For a different way to try Gin on World Gin Day, Gordan’s has come with the ultimate gin & crisp guide. They have paired two classic gin drinks with well known crisp brands to create a fun guide. What better way to celebrate the day than by drinking and snacking?
Gordon’s Bramble X Thai Sweet Chilli Crisps
Gordon’s Sloe Gin partners with Gordon’s London Dry Gin to create The Bramble – a fruity and aromatic cocktail that your sweet tooth will love. The red berry flavours mingle brilliantly with the aromatic Thai herbs, while the heat of the chilli cuts through the sweetness of the cocktail. A match made in heaven for adventurous dinner guests.
- 25ml Gordon’s Sloe Gin
- 25ml Gordon’s London Dry Gin
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 15ml sugar syrup
- Crushed ice
- Berries to garnish (eg: blackberries)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes
- Add 25 ml of Gordon’s London Dry Gin, 25 ml of Gordon’s Sloe Gin, 25 ml of lemon juice and 15 ml of sugar syrup, then give it a good shake
- Strain into a cool rocks glass filled with crushed ice and garnish with fresh blackberries and raspberries (frozen berries work well too)
Gordon’s Premium Pink Spritz X Ready Salted, Olive Crisps
Live ‘la vie en rose’ with Gordon’s Premium Pink Spritz and bitter olive crisps. The rich savoury tang of salt cuts through the berry sweetness of the Gordon’s Premium Pink Spritz perfectly – cheers to that perfect pre-BBQ combo!
- 50 ml Gordon’s Premium Pink Gin
- 50 ml lemonade
- 25 ml Prosecco
- Fresh strawberries
- Fill a large wine glass with ice, mix in the Gordon’s Premium Pink Gin with lemonade
- Garnish with wedges of fresh strawberries