Forget Valentine’s Day with it’s unnecessary consumerism, forced romanticism and ability to keep petrol stations in business through flower sales.
These days another celebration is sweeping the globe and it has its origins in something much more organic. That celebration is Galantine’s Day!
What is Galentine’s Day?
Galantine’s Day is a celebration of women! It takes place on the day before Valentine’s Day but is not supposed to be the antithesis of that celebration. Instead it celebrates all your female friends. Both girls with a boyfriend or without are more than welcome to take part.
The idea is to get all your friends in one place and to have a special day dedicated to each other. Celebrate friendships and show your appreciation. This usually means a fun meal out with cards and presents but can be anything you want it to be. The day has existed since 2010 and has grown in popularity around the world year on year. Last year for example the searches for Galentine’s Day ideas had grown 1780% over the previous year.
When Did Galentine’s Day Start?
Galentine’s Day was invented in 2010 by a TV show called Parks & Recreation. The American sitcom was on NBC and ran for seven seasons following the office of a local government department in Indiana. It launched the career of Hen Heaven’s favourite hunk, Chris Pratt! The main character was an enthusiastic government employee played by Amy Poehler called Leslie Knope. She loved organising parties and Galentine’s day was an invention of hers.
In the TV show Leslie’s Galentine’s day is a boozy brunch in a waffle house taking place the day before Valentine’s Day. The girls also give each other gifts and cards. In her own words, “Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies.”
Due to the popularity of the show this idea was quickly taken by fans and expanded on. Since then the idea of Galentine’s Day has spread all over the world and even those who had not seen the TV show are joining in. Of course, with anything like this it wasn’t long before it had been converted into a money-making scheme, and now brands offer plenty of gift ideas and deals to go alongside the day.
Reasons to celebrate Galentine’s Day
Apart from being a fad from a TV show, the day plays quite an important role that was missing from our calendar. The chance to celebrate our girlfriends should be an important issue. Friends play an increasingly important part in modern life and a day to celebrate that fact has been a long time coming.
- Friendships are pivotal because in modern life people have become strewn all over the world. We are not such localised animals anymore and being away from family geographically means those relationships need to be replaced. Our friends fill the void and become a surrogate family for many.
- Marriage and kids are often happening later in life for many and so starting your own family is being delayed. That gives ladies more time to build friendships. The opportunity to build a career can also get in the way of marriage and family. Career driven women find friends form the backbone of your social life.
- Another reason to celebrate Galentine’s day is that it is a ladies only event. It is not often you get to enjoy a men free zone. Even a hen do will involve a hunk covered in oil! Celebrate with your friends your triumphs over the last year and say thank you to the people that have supported you getting there. When you finally sit down with your friends and reflect, you will realise how important they are in your life.
- There is of course a big plus for ladies who find themselves single over the Valentine’s Day period. They won’t feel left out if there is something else to look forward to. Galentine’s is all inclusive however so those who are in a relationship, and will be enjoying Valentine’s day too, can still take part.
- Lastly Galentine’s day can be just a great excuse to catch up with friends you haven’t seen for a while. Often it just takes an excuse like this to get everyone together, like a birthday might.
10 Galentine’s Day Ideas
If you need some inspiration about how to celebrate Galentines for the first time or need some ideas to freshen things up here is 10 from us!
- Karaoke Party
Why not get all the girls behind a microphone and singing out all your favourite hits? This is not only a great journey down memory lane but also a fantastic laugh. Karaoke is a proven winner and could be just what you need on Galentine’s Day.
- Great British Bake Off
Off the back of the popular TV show why not have your very own competition, (garden tent optional), at one of your houses. Simply have a bake off then taste everyone else’s before determining a winner.
- Cocktail Making Class
Cocktails are a girl’s best friend but learning how to make your own to a professional standard might make any future drinks at home a real treat. Use Galentine’s day as an opportunity to learn, and the fact you get to drink the experiments is just a bonus.
- Spa Day
Take the weight off on your Galentine’s Day with a spa day. Perhaps you and the girls have had a tough year? You can rest and recuperate in luxurious surrounding while also getting a well-deserved massage. You will be so relaxed you will forget all about not having a date for Valentines!
- Wine Tasting
If you like your drinks to come in two colours, red and white, then wine tasting could be a great choice for your special day. You have spent many hours with your friends drinking wine but how much do you know about it? Learn a bit more about your favourite tipple all while getting to drink it. Win win!
- Parks and Recreation Marathon
Why not take it back to where it all began and settle down with some bubbly and pizza with your besties and watch a marathon of Parks and Recreation. The hilarious sitcom will have your group of mates literally ‘rolling on the floor laughing’.
- Sleepover Party
Why not relive those nights when friends would stay over as kids! You could put on your very own sleepover party and this time your parents can’t tell you what time to go to bed!
- Galentine’s Day Card Making Workshop
Part of Galentine’s day is card and gift giving. If you want to avoid the commercialism of this new day then why not spend your day making your very own gifts and cards. This way you keep up with the tradition while also saving pennies and spending quality time with your friends.
- Shopping Spree
If you love to spend money, then take the girls out on a big shopping spree. Big shopping centres now have everything you need for a fantastic day out. A bit of retail therapy around Valentine’s day can’t hurt either!
- Big Night Out
If all else fails and you don’t want to have to think about what to do too much, then why not just enjoy a big night out with friends. Visit all the old haunts and party till the early hours. For those of you with no dates the following day, you can just sleep through it!
By Tom Bourlet at www.henheaven.co.uk